Monday, November 24, 2008

Timothy Geithner the Economist

I'm intrigued by the number of times I see incoming Treasury secretary Timothy Geithner referred to as a practitioner of the dismal science. See Bill Kristol's column in the New York Times today:

Given that, one has to welcome the expected appointment to senior positions in the Obama administration of economists like Lawrence Summers, Timothy Geithner, Jason Furman, Peter Orszag, and Goolsbee himself. They’re sober and competent people who know we face a real crisis — and who, importantly, may be more willing than many of their colleagues to adjust their thinking early and often. [emphasis added}
Kristol's column is entitled "Admit We Don't Know," in reference to the size of the bailout package. I admit we don't, but at least we should know whether the guy who who'll be in charge of the bailouts is a friggin' economist. I mean, it was in my Geithner profile in Portfolio. That he isn't.

© 2008 Gary Weiss. All rights reserved.

Digg my article

Labels: