Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Darjeeling Limited



I have no comment on the artistic merits of The Darjeeeling Limited (neither did the New York Times reviewer, I see), but I do think that it absolutely nailed the experience of traveling through India.

One tiny point of annoyance is that the final scenes of the film, set in the Eastern Himalayas, were filmed at a hunting lodge in Rajasthan. That's like filming a New England scene in southern Arizona.

This is a shame, as the film -- which is a travelogue as much as anything -- lost a chance to show the amazing diversity of India. It appears in the film to be one big Rajasthan.

© 2007 Gary Weiss. All rights reserved.

Digg my article

-----------

Wall Street Versus America was published by Penguin USA on April 6.
Click here for its Amazon.com listing and here for more information on the book, from my web site, gary-weiss.com.

Labels: ,