Friday, March 09, 2007

A Wake-Up Call for India

I've long lamented the media's tendency to gloss over India's infrastructure problems, which I touched upon in a Forbes.com column. So I was delighted by the cover story in the current issue of Business Week, "The Trouble With India."

It's a thorough, detailed examination of the problems facing overseas businessmen in India. The article concludes, "Unless the nation shakes off its legacy of bureaucracy, politics, and corruption, its ability to build adequate infrastructure will remain in doubt. So will its economic destiny."

This article is going to be unpopular among some India boosters, but I'm sure most informed observers of this country will be nodding in agreement.

© 2007 Gary Weiss. All rights reserved.

-----------

Wall Street Versus America was published by Penguin USA on April 6.
Click here for its Amazon.com listing and here for more information on the book, from my web site.

Labels: ,